In our published work, we have looked at the practices of new venturing from a multitude of angles, such as the management of relationships with stakeholders and loan managers, entrepreneurial marketing, strategic planning, networking and team-building in new ventures, job satisfaction of entrepreneurs, and questions of involuntary entrepreneurship.
Taking an impression management perspective, we have investigated the relationship entrepreneurs have with their stakeholders, and in particular, how entrepreneurs can effectively foster social legitimacy and venture failure, and how loan managers assess the competence of the entrepreneur. Our recent work also addresses entrepreneurial marketing strategies that leverage the power of communities in social media.
- Fink, M., Koller, M., Gartner, J., Floh, A. & Harms, R. 2018. Effective entrepreneurial marketing on Facebook – A longitudinal study. Journal of Business Research.
- Kibler, E., Mandl, C., Kautonen, T., & Berger, E.S.C. 2017. Attributes of legitimate venture failure impressions. Journal of Business Venturing, 32(2), 145-161.
- Moro, A., Fink, M. & Kautonen, T. 2014. How do banks assess entrepreneurial competence? The role of voluntary information disclosure. International Small Business Journal, 32(5), 525-544.
In order to dive into the life of an entrepreneur, we have studied the determinants of job satisfaction of self-employed and salaried employees.
- Hytti, U., Kautonen, T. & Akola, E. 2013. Determinants of job satisfaction for salaried and self-employed professionals in Finland. International Journal of Human Resource Management, 24(10), 2034-2053.
Our studies have illuminated the strategic planning practices of SMEs, and the innovativeness and performance of family-firms.
- Hatak, I., Kautonen, T., Fink, M. & Kansikas, J. 2016. Innovativeness and family-firm performance: The moderating effect of family commitment.Technological Forecasting and Social Change, 102, 120-131.
- Kohtamäki, M., Kautonen, T. & Varamäki, E. 2009. Discourses of strategic planning in small and medium-sized growth firms. The Management of Small and Medium Enterprises, 56-68.
- Kohtamäki, M. & Kautonen, T. 2008. Conceptualising the dimensions of sourcing strategy: A governance-based approach. International Journal of Value Chain Management, 2(2), 206-226.
We have been deeply involved in research that looks at the networking practices and formation and cooperation of teams in entrepreneurial ventures.
- Zolin, R., Kuckertz, A. & Kautonen, T. 2011. Human resource flexibility and strong ties in entrepreneurial teams. Journal of Business Research, 64(10), 1097-1103.
- Kautonen, T., Zolin, R., Kuckertz, A. & Viljamaa, A. 2010. Ties that blind? How strong ties affect small business owner-managers’ perceived trustworthiness of their advisors. Entrepreneurship and Regional Development, 22(2), 189-209.
- Koch, L.T., Kautonen, T. & Grünhagen, M. 2006. Development of cooperation in new venture support networks: The role of key actors. Journal of Small Business and Enterprise Development, 13(1), 62-72.
- Kautonen, T. & Koch, L.T. 2005. Cooperation in regional new venture support networks: Experiences from Germany. International Journal of Entrepreneurial Behaviour and Research, 11(5), 378-384.
- Welter, F. & Kautonen, T. 2005. Trust, Social Networks and Enterprise Development: Exploring Evidence from East and West Germany. The International Entrepreneurship and Management Journal, 1(3), 367-379.
In our work, we sought to bring conceptual clarity to the political and academic debates on entrepreneurship that unfolds as a necessity- rather than opportunity-based process, and results in “involuntary self-employment”.
- Kautonen, T., Down, S., Welter, F., Althoff, K., Palmroos, J., Kolb, S. & Vainio, P. 2011. Involuntary entrepreneurship. World Encyclopedia of Entrepreneurship, 288-292.
- Kautonen, T., Down, S., Welter, F., Vainio, P., Palmroos, J., Althoff, K. & Kolb, S. 2010. “Involuntary self-employment” as a public policy issue: A cross-country European review. International Journal of Entrepreneurial Behaviour and Research, 16(2), 112-129.
- Kautonen, T. & Palmroos, J. 2010. The impact of a necessity-based start-up on subsequent entrepreneurial satisfaction. International Entrepreneurship and Management Journal, 6(3), 285-300.
- Kautonen, T., Palmroos, J. & Vainio, P. 2009. ‘Involuntary self-employment’ in Finland: A bleak future? International Journal of Public Policy, 4(6), 533-548.
A part of our prior research has also focused on marketing, and in particular the importance of building trust amongst consumers.
- Jayawardhena, C., Kuckertz, A., Karjaluoto, H. & Kautonen, T. 2009. Antecedents to permission based mobile marketing: An initial examination. European Journal of Marketing, 43(3-4), 473-499.
- Kautonen, T. & Karjaluoto, H. 2008. Trust and new technologies: Marketing and management on the internet and mobile media. Trust and New Technologies: Marketing and Management on the Internet and Mobile Media, 328.
- Karjaluoto, H. & Kautonen, T. 2008. Sources of trust and consumers’ participation in permission-based mobile marketing. In Handbook of Research in Mobile Business, Second Edition: Technical, Methodological and Social Perspectives, 304-315.
- Karjaluoto, H., Jayawardhena, C., Kuckertz, A. & Kautonen, T. 2008. Sources of trust in permission-based mobile marketing: A cross-country comparison. Trust and New Technologies: Marketing and Management on the Internet and Mobile Media, 165-181.
- Kautonen, T., Karjaluoto, H., Jayawardhena, C. & Kuckertz, A. 2007. Permission-based mobile marketing and sources of trust in selected European markets. Journal of Systems and Information Technology, 9(2), 104-123.